How often should you use an infrared sauna? This is a common question we get asked, so here’s your answer along with some other frequently asked questions about infrared saunas.
What Is an Infrared Sauna?
An infrared sauna uses infrared light to heat the body, bringing a number of benefits. Infrared light is a natural energy we get from the sun - it’s easily absorbed into the body, and can help stimulate the lymphatic, immune, and cardiovascular systems as well as helping to remove toxins.
Of course, direct exposure to the sun has a lot of drawbacks too, so infrared saunas offer a safe, managed way to top up on the benefits of infrared.
They’re very similar to traditional saunas, but instead of pouring water over some stones, you simply sit and let the infrared rays penetrate your body.
How Often Should You Use an Infrared Sauna?
It’s a good idea to gradually test out your tolerance to infrared saunas and increase your usage over time. Infrared saunas work at a lower air temperature than traditional saunas, which means they can be easier to manage, and a little less overwhelming, but it’s still worth trying things out first.
If you find yourself asking how often should you use an infrared sauna, then consult your body. A daily session is perfectly fine, but if you feel like that’s too much, then cut back a little bit.
Most operators recommend people use infrared saunas three to four days per week, and if they’re feeling fine, then they can move up to daily use.
Keep your sessions shorter to begin with while you adjust to the new experience, and gradually work your way up to the recommended 20-30 minute sessions. Saunas should be relaxing, so if the heat starts to feel too much, then take a break and come back the next time.
The Benefits of an Infrared Sauna
The reason people ask how often you should use an infrared sauna is because of the great benefits. It’s amazingly relaxing and it has some incredible benefits for your entire body. Regular sessions will bring you these benefits without having to spend too much time in the sauna. Extra sessions might top up the benefits, but it’s those basic, regular sessions that have the biggest impact.
Here are some of the top infrared sauna health benefits people experience:
- Weight Loss and Increased Metabolism: Sauna use boosts the cardiovascular system in the same way running does. You’re relaxing, but your body is busy pumping blood, producing sweat, and burning calories.
- Muscle Pain Relief: Infrared saunas increase blood circulation, delivering more oxygen-rich blood to the muscles, helping them to recover faster.
- Immune System Boost: By raising the body’s core temperature, infrared saunas produce an artificial fever, stimulating the immune system.
- Detoxification: The heat of the infrared stimulates the sweat glands, releasing built-up toxins resulting in detoxification.
- Relief from Joint Pain and Stiffness: Radiant heat has been shown to be effective in relieving pain from many forms of arthritis, as well as sprains, muscle spasms, joint stiffness, and many other injuries.
- Reduce Stress and Fatigue: Infrared saunas help stimulate the autonomic nervous system, putting you in a parasympathetic (resting) state which allows your body to heal.
- Improve Skin: The sweat infrared saunas induce helps clear the body of impurities and dead skin cells, giving your skin a clean glow.
How Often Should You Use an Infrared Sauna FAQs
- Can you use infrared saunas too much? Infrared saunas subject your body to conditions it’s not used to. While this is healthy in small doses, too much exposure can lead to dehydration, heat exhaustion, and heatstroke.
- How long should you spend in an infrared sauna? It’s recommended that an ideal session in an infrared sauna should last between 20 and 30 minutes.
- Is daily infrared sauna good for you? Daily infrared sauna sessions can offer lots of benefits. It’s best to start out with 3-4 sessions a week, and then work up to daily sessions if your body is responding well to them.
- How often should you use an infrared sauna for weight loss? It’s recommended that you use an infrared sauna for weight loss around three times per week.
There’s no single answer to the question of how often should you use an infrared sauna. It’s best to start off with three to four sessions a week and listen to what your body is telling you. If you feel comfortable, then you can start using them more regularly.
Remember to keep your sessions to an optimal time of between 20 and 30 minutes, and don’t overdo it. Saunas are about relaxation, not forcing your body to do something it doesn’t want to do, so simply sit back, relax and enjoy.